Book Report Assignment This assignment requires that students
Book Report Assignment
This assignment requires that students read the assigned book – The Critical Chain – and submit a 5-page book report online on Canvas as a MS Word document after reading and understanding the above text. The guidelines on how to write the book report are provided below:
1. For this class, the book report must be organized around 3 major elements: Discussion, Application, and Evaluation (DAE approach).
2. Write 1-1½ pages discussing the book. Do not write a summary chapter by chapter or make lists. Write in narrative form. Make sure that your write up includes answers to these questions:
· What is the book about (briefly about 1 paragraph)?
· Describe the major themes (a couple of central ideas or gems) in the book from your perspective. Key word here is “major” themes, not just peripheral ideas such as role of communication or importance of team work etc. Remember this is operations management (OM) class and your gems should revolve around concepts related to OM.
· Give rationale why you think the above identified gems/themes are important from your perspective. (use critical thinking to add some rigor to your rationale)
3. Write 2-2½ pages on the application of the major ideas/themes/gems as identified in the discussion section above to your work place (any work place – past or present? In your own words, what is the meaning or significance of these ideas as they apply to your current or any work-setting? How does the author suggest that they be applied?
4. Finally, evaluate the book (½ to 1 page) along the following lines:
· How useful are the ideas?
· How practical are the ideas?
· How well organized and written is the book?
· Would you recommend it?
The book report must be 5 full pages, double-spaced, number 12 font with no more than one inch margins. Your write-up should make use of headings/sub-headings as needed. Rubric for grading book report is given below:
Rubric for Grading Book Report
- Excellent writing style
- Exceptional insights, critical thinking into problems and solutions
- Demonstrates extensive research into topic
- Applies and integrates ideas from articles, books, or practitioner interviews
- Solves a real work problem or proposes a well founded solution
- Topic very relevant to current employer
- Logically organized
- Uses examples, facts or statistics to support statements
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of concepts
- Correctly applies concept to practice
- Selects an appropriate topic
- Correct grammar, spelling, punctuation
- Required number of pages, cover
- Turned in on time
- Correct format – 12 pt. font, double-spaced, margins = 1”